- Born: 17 Sep 1867, Courtland, Norfolk, Ontario, Canada 120
- Marriage (1): Henry Alexander Chapple M.D. on 23 Apr 1889 in Toronto, , Ontario, Canada 120
- Marriage (2): Harrison E. Armstrong M. D. before 1911
- Died: 26 Jun 1933, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA at age 65 58,121
- Buried: 1 Jul 1933, Billings, Yellowstone, Montana, USA
Other names for Mattie were Martha Murphy 58,61 and Tune Murphy.
. . . an article in the Billings Gazette, dated July 14, 1933, which states that my grandmother left one of the larger wills in the history of the state, anything I know about her comes from those
Father born in Ireland, Mother born in England, US 1920 census
After the death of Henry, Mattie realized she needed income. She arranged a partnership with a carpenter/contractor and they built small houses. Some of the first were on Yellowstone Ave in the 300 block. They still stand today. They sold for about $3,000. Over on Custer Ave, she bought a small farm, subdivided it and built more. Connie had no idea how many, we do know that the Alexandria Hotel was built about 1907, she built two other commercial buildings on North 31st and another on North 33rd., the Wreford, Normandy, and Carlisle apartments. The Ardmore and Kendis apartments were built on each side of her home on North 30th. The home was made into apartments.
Mattie married again to Dr Henry Armstrong. I do know that Dr. Armstrong was born on October 29, 1867 in Orono, Ontario. He moved to Billings in 1899. I believe she sold Dr. Henry's practice (equipment, office, etc.) to him. He was a General Practitioner and baby doctor. Our mother, Connie was very fond of Dr. Armstrong. She talked of going with him on his house calls in a buggy. Se also talked of his automobile, an "Apperson Jackrabit." The sales slogan was "No hill too steep, no sand too deep." Mattie divorced Dr. Armstrong. Again, I do not know when. He was married to a woman named Sarah at the time of his death in Billings on January 13, 1934.
We called our grandmother "Tune" because on visits she would wind and play the Victrola for us, making "Tunes."
Mattie retired to Los Angeles and left the running of the businesses to Connie and her brother Harry. The youngest brother, Jack lived in Los Angeles with his family and watched over their Mother until her death on June 26, 1933 in Los Angeles, CA 122
Noted events in her life were:
• Immigration, 1889. From Canada to USA
• Occupation, 1920. Owner of real estate company
• Census: Age 33, birth Canada, 1866, 1900, Billings, Yellowstone, Montana, USA. 58
• Census: Age 51, birth 1869, Canada, Immigrated/naturalized 1889, 8 Jan 1920, Billings, Yellowstone, Montana, USA. 123
• Religion: Presbyterian, 23 Apr 1889, Toronto, , Ontario, Canada. 120
Mattie married Henry Alexander Chapple M.D., son of William A. Chapple and Jane Miller, on 23 Apr 1889 in Toronto, , Ontario, Canada.120 (Henry Alexander Chapple M.D. was born on 21 Oct 1861 in Bowmanville, Durham, Ontario, Canada,120,124 died on 10 Jan 1900 in Flagstaff, Coconino, Arizona, USA 61,125 and was buried on 16 Jan 1900 in Billings, Yellowstone, Montana, USA.) The cause of his death was Tubercular peritonitis.
Mattie next married Harrison E. Armstrong M. D. before 1911. (Harrison E. Armstrong M. D. was born on 29 Oct 1867 in Orono, , Ontario, Canada 61 and died on 13 Jan 1934 in Billings, Yellowstone, Montana, USA.)